7/11/09

Yard Sale Canners & GREEN Strawberry Jam


I've purchased 2 very old canners at yard sales (one for $1, one for $3), not for actual canning, but to make bulk recipes of jam or soups.

They work the best because they are heavy duty and nothing sticks to the bottom!



They are 2 of my very favorite yard sale finds, and I store them in my garage pantry.

With the strawberries coming on in my yard, and seeing this on my kitchen counter this week ...



I knew it was time to get more peanut butter at the store - and time to make my GREEN method of strawberry jam!

Disclaimer: I know my family's method may be controversial - so you can choose if you want to process the jars in boiling water for 10 minutes in a canner, or try this. Or read about the different opinions here!  

Why green?  
I call this method of canning "green" because you don't have to use energy while processing the jam. It's how I was taught to make jam, and this method has been done for many, many years by many, many people!   I believe each person has her own personal preference, and usually it comes from how we were taught to make jam. 

For me, my mother taught me to flip the HOT jars (of boiling jam) upside down on the kitchen counter.



Get started
Purchase or pick your berries.  Here's a cheaper way to get jam berries (berries that are not perfect). Make sure you have canning jars, lids, rings and SURE JELL.

Stem, wash, and puree your berries.



Measure out exact berries and sugar, and follow the directions on the Sure Jell package. Each kind of berry is listed with exact ingredients.



Boil your rings and lids.



Wash your jars and pull them out of the dishwasher HOT.  Fill the jars.



Green method
After jarring the BOILING jam, put the lid and ring on, and immediately turn upside down on a towel on the kitchen counter.



The jam is hot and automatically seals the jar, as long as you keep it turned upside down for at least an hour.

Share the love
The other day our neighbor boy, Daniel, helped us with yard work and chores around the house.  He's such a great kid.  And he didn't want to get paid, so I gave him his VERY OWN jar of jam!

Make jam, and give it away!  People love homemade jams - at least our family does!

I'd love to hear how you learned to make jam - was it from your Mother, or a friend?  

Or did you just get brave and decide to try it on your own?

Now head on over to Rhoda's and check out her awesome yard sale finds this week, over at Southern Hospitality!

26 comments:

Deana said...

mmmmm... that jam looks really yummy. I've never made jam before, but I think after reading your post I might give it a try.

Amy Lynne said...

I love hearing about different ways to make jams! Thanks for the tips!

★Carol★ said...

Scrumptious! Wish I had the patience to try canning!

GrammaMack said...

I had strawberry freezer jam that someone else made, and I decided I needed to make it myself. It's still my favourite!

Kammy said...

Wow, you make me want to make my own jam...doesn't sound too hard...... thanks !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Donnetta said...

Believe it or not I learned to make jam... from my husband!

I usually do the freezer jam method, but if I ever decide to do the cooking/canning method I will have to remember your "green" process. It sounds much easier than "canning."

Chicky said...

Yum! I have made freezer jam, and I love to give it as a gift, especially at Christmas. I will definitely try your method soon!

Charlene said...

I've done the freezer jam thing, too--made some just this month from wild blackberries.

I'd like to give this one a try, too--I wonder if it works with jelly, too, or just jam. Or would jelly just run out because it wasn't set yet?

The Blushing Hostess said...

ForEVER, I have exhaustivly boiled to reseal and it is a nightmare, then checked the pop and in some cases started all over again! Can you believe all the time wasted before I read this note... that's what it is to being the only girl left who cans in my parrt of the world... ugh. I hope you're well, Sandy, thank you!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Hello there my bloggy friend!!!

Oh...do you deliver????
sandy toe

Darla said...

Apricot jam is happening at our house. Our tree was very prolific this year.

Love reading about your green method. I'll have to give it a try.

Darla

Suzann said...

I've never made Jam, but perhaps I may give this a try.

Renee said...

I've been turning my jam jars upside down for years!! LOVE that method. Wish I could do that for more of my canning goodies!!!

Jen said...

My momma taught me to can. And I'm so glad I listened....I do peach jam this week. YUM!

Our Complete Family said...

Oh my yummy, yummy, yummy! That looks so good and I know you made your fam so very happy!
Happy summertime!!!

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Looks delish!! I'm going to have to remember to make jam this way (someday)... though my hubby really loves his Smucker's Strawberry Perserves.

Hey, I just read the article in the on-line Philadelphia Inquirer that was written (and interviewed) about you. Great stuff. Right from my back yard - Phila., PA

Angie Acapella said...

I've made strawberry jam before (a Martha Stewart recipe). I boiled the jars to process them, but love the canner you found. Some of my favorite memories are canning in the summer with my grandmother. It's a very practical, economical, quite simple homemakeing tool we just don't utilize anymore. I'm definately teaching my daughter to can.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sandy, I've been SO spoiled by my mom, who does all the canning in our family, so I've never made jam. But, I love that you found a great canner at a yardsale & do it yourself. That's wonderful! It looks so good. there's nothing better than homemade strawberry, my mom makes it too. I think she puts wax on top of hers before sealing the lids.

Erica said...

yep - a layer of paraffin on top opt he jam. That's what my grandmother always did but next time I make jam I will definitely use your method. How easy it sounds!

Kirstin said...

I love making freezer jam. And I love to give it away. The gal who helped me this year, went home with a jar of jam and a few bags for sliced berries.

Nicole A. said...

Looks sooooo good! I have never made jam but need to try!

Unknown said...

Love the canner. I never thought to turn the jam upside down and seal it that way... ingenious.

Need to work on peach jam this week.. Trade you for some strawberry jam.

Cynthia

M.O.M. said...

I have made strawberry jam a few times in my life, but always thought it was too long a process. This year I made it with the Inversion method you talk about and thought it was so easy. I will never do it any other way. Same great taste, less work. Love it!!mw

Cairen said...

Oh that looks so yummy! I love that you gave it to the neighbor boy, I for should would love to be paid in homemade jam! :)

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

That sounds so yummy! Please send me a jar or two of jam! Ha....

Hilty Sprouts said...

My husband is the jam maker and canner extraordinaire in our family! He learned from both his mom and dad. He makes the most amazing jalapeno pickles with his dad's recipe!