9/15/09

In a Bite of a Cupcake!


Meet my Guest:

Tracey and I connected years ago through her blog, Notes from A Cottage Industry. Tracey shares wonderful crafting ideas and inspiring stories - like cupcake giving - on her blog, and she's such a beautiful person. You have to check her blog out.



Cupcake giving has become a way of life for Tracey. Like this Bunko party!

What I love about hospitality is that it can be so simple

As simple as a cupcake.

Here's Tracey's story ...



It’s common practice to take a small hostess gift when attending a party or visiting friends out of town, but we often forget about the opportunity to show folks we care when we are at work.

Sure, there are a couple of times of the year when we are reminded to do something nice, like the Hallmark holidays known as Secretary or Boss Day, (if we have seen a commercial to remind us!) but, think about how nice a co-worker would feel if, sometime, out of the blue, they were treated to a bit of hospitality…just because.

Teachers have this idea down to a science. They even have a name for it. They draw names at the beginning of the year for something they call “Secret Pals”. Oh, how I love this concept! 

I love it for two reasons; first of all, it’s anonymous. You don’t pick your Secret Pal. Instead, names are drawn from a hat, and that encourages everyone to take a closer look at someone they might not necessarily know as well, so that they might surprise them with little treats that will delight them throughout the school year. Second, it encourages hospitality. They surprise each other with little treats at unexpected times, not simply Christmas and Teacher’s Week.



I am a fanatical cupcake baker, and about once a month I bring in cupcakes for my coworkers at the bank…just because. It brings a smile to everyone’s face each and every time I do it. (After all, no one can be uncheered by a cupcake!)

Now, maybe you’re not a cupcake baker. How tickled would someone you work with be, say, the day they return to work after a vacation or a business trip, to find a “Welcome Back!” banner or simple sign made on a piece of computer paper, taped to their computer monitor? It’s all about making people feel special, and it doesn’t have to cost a dime.
     
What little thing can you do this week, to make some one’s day?

20 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

It is the little things that mean so much.
Alison

Sandi said...

The unexpected kindness is what really matters. Will try to pass that on today. Beautiful post!
Blessings~

Sweet Old Vintage said...

A small token for someone is always heaven sent.

A Cottage Industry said...

Thanks for inviting me to guest post Sandy! I'll have to have you over for a guest visit to my blog soon as well!
Tracey

Unknown said...

I love Tracey's blog and her heart. I have followed her forever.

Thanks for highlighting her and the beautiful post.

southerninspiration said...

Now you two make a great combo!! Great ideas from each of you !!

Suzanne

Kelli said...

:) So funny to read this today because this weekend my daughter and I made cupcakes and we walked some over to my neighbor! (They were sunflowers from the book Hello, Cupcake. The pictures are on my blog.)

Melissa's Thoughts said...

LOVE IT!!

ellen b. said...

Kindness goes a long way! This also reminded me of reap what you sow...

Gina said...

Yummy cupcakes! I love cupcakes and I love the reminder to do something special for someone else-even those in my own house would love this! I'll have to get baking this week!

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Just like the verse in Proverbs 3:27-28 that says; "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor 'Come back tomorrow' when you now have it with you."

I just recently did a post (Friday's Finds; When it is in your power to act) on this very verse/idea... of doing something - just because.

I love the cupcake idea!! There are so many ways to "Bless" someone. Taking the time is simply the first step. I need to do this again, but there were seasons when I would sneak something like food or pansies or an anonymous card in someones mailbox or on their front porch, or car...

Doing stuff like this makes you feel so good. Like the verse says...If it's in your power to do so, go ahead and don't wait until tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Those cupcakes are really amazing and what a great idea! Your right, its perfect. The little thoughts mean big things...

Anonymous said...

Tracey invited me over to your blog...enjoyed it so much...will return. Love the cupcake idea...sent a couple dozen to my grandson's first grade class yesterday.
Kay Haworth

Miss G said...

It is true that kindness in the workplace makes it soo much nicer to be there all day. The other day a fellow teacher merely offered me one of her pita chips that she was snacking on and it made my day. :) Kelly

Tammi said...

I love this post!! How true! I came to visit your site from a link on Tracey's site!

I love kind people and kind gestures, it's what makes a day extraordinary!!

Yesterday, a typical Monday, I was greeted with the sweetest bouquet of miniature sunflowers. A distant co-worker knew of my love for the flower an brought them to me from her garden. I was so touched, I smiled all day!

Tammi
VisionsofVintage.com

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Sandy; I agree it is the little things in life that mean the most.. What a great post. and I loved the cupcakes... mmm mmmm good....

Hugs;
Alaura

Tiffany @ Mine Are Spectacular! said...

Taking the time to do something so simple, yet so special for someone means so very much!!

It's truly the little things that count!!

Tiffany @ Mine Are Spectacular

More than Survival said...

I give bouquets of fresh cut flowers from my garden in the summer time. Flowers never fail to bring a smile! In the winter I give baked goods... after all the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!! I also enjoy writing post cards... doesn't everyone enjoy getting something other than bills in the mail?? My grandmother is the queen of handwritten notes and I LOVE them!!! The little things we can do to brighten up the world!!
HEather

Maureen said...

Love this! I am planning on doing this very thing in the neighborhood this fall season. Thanks for the encouragement.

Suzann said...

This week I am making cupcakes for my son's teacher. This is her first class, and it's her birthday on Tuesday. I also am picking up a bouquet of flowers and giving her little giftcard to Borders bookstore. She so sweet, loving, and caring - a wonderful 3rd grade teacher - she deserves a special day.