I knew I’d get asked what I did with all the papers and junk on my fridge when I cleaned it off, last post.
I’ve shared this easy system with so many of my friends. Years ago my friend Anne got me started with this simple organizational system for saving my kids’ memories over the years, by filing them into a binder. I do not have time to scrapbook and this method gets the job done!
Now my kids spend hours looking through their books! It’s worth the extra effort to be organized!
I’d rather my kids’ thumb through their books than watch a mindless T.V. show!
2” white binders from Costco (4 in a pack)
Scrapbook paper (or plain colored paper)
1 box sheet protectors
Starting with Pre-K, I have saved art, special memories, class pictures, sports awards, first book report, every report card, articles their dad has written – you name it, and have filed these papers into these books.
Thank you notes from special people
Our beloved dog went missing
A letter to a teacher
What to wear on a field trip
Moving up to high school
Congrats on driver’s license
10-day backpack trip
Abby’s fist time away to camp
Special school speeches
Annual family Christmas letters
Abby’s first post right here on RE
How to make the book:
• Have a place where you dump the memories (on top of my fridge!)
• When you’re ready to organize, make separate piles (3 kids in my case)
• Start with younger years and move forward (Pre-K is when I started)
• Create a binder for every 2 years (depending on how much you need to file)
• Slip memories into sheet protectors, sometimes folding in ½ or however you can preserve it
• Slip artwork into the front cover, or use a fun piece of scrapbook paper
• Make a side label with child’s name and year(s)
When my kids get old enough, these books will become their memories to keep!
For now, they are mine, and I find myself occasionally thumbing through them too. Of course I get a bit sentimental!
Oh, and one book I found on top of my fridge when I was cleaning it, that I couldn’t wait to throw away! You can read about our No More Science Fair Dinner celebration, here.
What’s the secret to this easy system? Have your books ready, so when the stuff comes home you can slip it right into the book!
Do you have an organized system for keeping your kids’ memories?