3/26/08

A Snicker Doodle Day!

I got up early one morning last week, and turned the oven on to 350.

I pulled my Ziploc bag of Snicker Doodle cookie dough out of the freezer. This last weekend my daughter made up a double-batch, and this is what we love to do. We love to make the cookies, roll them up into balls, spin them around in a bowl of cinnamon and sugar, and then freeze them in Ziplocs!

This is the best way to have fresh cookies come out of your oven – in a snap!

What balls were left (for some reason, our family loves to walk by the refrigerator and secretly grab a frozen ball of cookie dough – and run!), I placed on my seasoned stone and placed in the oven.

My kids’ noses followed the scent down the stairs, into the kitchen, that early morning, to find cookies coming out of the oven. But little did they know, they were not for them!

I had pre-arranged to take dinner to a friend that morning, a friend who’d recently had surgery. Her family became the lovely recipient of freshly-baked Snicker Doodles, plus a dinner of Mango Crockpot Chicken, fresh tortillas, and all the fixings to go with it (and canned salsa from my sis's garden!)

How do I find the time to do for others?

It’s just a way of life for me. Hospitality begins with me and it starts in my home. If I don’t do it, my kids will never learn. In this increasingly busy season of my life, hospitality rarely leaves my home – but if it does, it goes with me to take a meal, or cookies, or flowers, or sometime to someone in need, or for a quick hello.

But even QUICK can make a big difference!

Mmm, let’s get back to those mouth-watering Snicker Doodles – I think they’re ready to take out of the oven right now!

21 comments:

Pam said...

Wish you lived in my neighborhood. . . sure could use such seasoned hospitality around here right now.

Now you need to post the recipe for that mango crock pot chicken. Sounds yummy!

OKGardners said...

WOW! It would be nice to live near you and be the recipient of such a gift of fresh Snickerdoodles. You truly amaze me!

Betty in Oklahoma

Nadine said...

You are marvelous. What a nice meal even with dessert. I remember when I was the recipient of such generous people as yourself - it was so very helpful not worry about making dinner.

a woman who is said...

I love the idea of freezing the balls all ready to go. I often freeze part of my cookie dough in a log. Then I can just slice and bake. It works great for chocolate chip cookies that don't need to be rolled in something.

Rhonda said...

Sandy - You are absolutely amazing. When you say 'way of life' I'm sure that includes keeping plastic containers on hand.

I think that it's probably time that some of who us who read in awe and amazement (me), need to start planning how we can too show some hospitality.

Jen said...

I too really enjoy taking food to others. I get an enjoyment out of it. And your crockpot chicken is wonderful to take...we really liked it. The cookies are an excellent idea.

dawn klinge said...

Yum...I love frozen cookie dough! That meal that you took to your friend looks delicious. I'm sure that was very appreciated.

~j~ said...

oh wow Sandy, i could smell those snicker doodles all the way here in S.B.!! and mango crockpot chicken? sounds incredible.
j

Amie said...

I really LOVE your blog and all that's in it! I am always eagerly awaiting your new posts!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Sandy- Thanks for stopping by! We're so jealous that you have spring flowers! Although, last year we had all of our tulips out, buds from the trees were almost bursting, then we had a huge frost - no pretty flowers on the trees or the ground! So, we'll be patient! By the way, the cookies look lovely - wish we could taste test them for you!!
K&K

linda t said...

Mmm, I'm bringing dinner to my son and daughter-in-law and new baby on Saturday. What a lovely menu Sandy! And fresh baked cookies! Yumo!
You inspire me to not only think of others, but to do something about it... to act on our desire to give our lives away... in the act of serving others.
Thanks!

Laura said...

That's awesome Sandy!

willzmom said...

I can almost smell those cookies. I try to take meals to those around me who have had babies, or surgery or lost a loved one. One of my fondest memories of the birth of my son was my precious friends who brought me food-and adult conversation-just when I needed it most.

Kirstin said...

I too do this with cookie dough, though inevitably someone finds it and eats the frozen dough balls. But I love this method because it allows me to make only as many cookies as needed.

I also love making meals for folks, and to make it easier on me I just make a recipe that I can easily double: 1 for them, 1 for my family.

Jenster said...

YUM!!

When I had my reconstruction we had people bringing meals for three weeks! What a blessing they all were for me and my family. And I love to reciprocate.

Thanks for being you, Sandy! You're truly a gift. :o)

Tammy said...

Oh, yummy! Wish I had time to make a bagful of those cookies for the road tomorrow!
Yep, we live for Disneyland tomorrow- bright and early!
Please say a prayer for wonderful family time and safe travels...
and I'll wave to you as I pass by your neck of the woods!
Blessings,
~Tammy

Donnetta said...

I also found myself up early this week baking. I made some banana muffins both for the young mom's coming into my home that morning... and for my family!

My kids did the same things as they woke up that morning... they mentioned the word YUM! :-)

What a constant encouragement and inspiration you are to continue to reach out even in something that may seem so insignificant!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Great Idea!
I'm afraid I'd be sneaking them too.~ you just can't trust a sneak~=D

orneryswife said...

I am interested in whether you made those fresh tortillas yourself, and if you did if you'd share the recipe/method. I am wanting to make some myself, but will need to use alternatives to wheat flour. Just wondered if you had any good ideas.
TM

Wendy said...

Yum, I might have to make these today! :)

paperjunk-lc said...

Made the chicken with some Pace Picante I had on hand What a HIT I will surely make this again. I like the idea of something different to bring for someone. I'm the queen of caseroles.
Thank you!