11/26/07

Savoring Time Together

We met with friends in the high desert this past Thanksgiving weekend.

A feast we had, but what we really savored was our time together.

My goal was to plan, organize and prepare before we arrived.

Whatever was left behind – we’d do without. Whatever dish didn’t turn out – we’d eat it anyway. I even decided to change our tradition and take a pre-cooked smoked turkey, instead of the usual task of brining, bagging, icing, and cooking a large turkey.

Simplicity was what I was aspiring to.

We brought a few things along to make our table festive, we sang our song of thanks, we lined up our dishes buffet style, and we all enjoyed a beautiful meal together.

Togetherness – enjoying precious quality time together.

Enjoying the simple things – like tossing the ball back and forth with sweet one-year-old Andie.


Relaxation. Good sleep. Movies. Games (of course many Scrabble games). Conversation. Fishing. Puzzles. Nighttime walks in 20-degree weather. Solitude.

Celebrating the simple things created meaning for our family, in balance and brightness.

Now, heading into a more furious holiday season, I pray that peace continues.

Stay tuned for my upcoming post, Too Much Tradition?”

(Photos: God bless the cooks! Sweet baby Andie! Coughlin kids on the Fall River.)

13 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like a most relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

tammi said...

Wow, Andie looks like a DOLL!! Seriously, at first glance, I thought she was a beautifully hand-painted doll! What a incredibly beautiful picture!

Sounds like a wonderful time. The holiday season definitely feels hectic sometimes, but I sure do enjoy spending time with good friends and also so many family members that we just don't get to see on a regular basis.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Great post. And I look forward to the next one. I'm still learning how to wisely prune the holiday season. I want to end up with a balance of festivity and peace. But balance is hard, especially in our culture.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Gratitude and simplicity! I love it! I need to remember to keep that theme going in my own life this holiday season.

Barb said...

Handsome-lookin' bunch and Andie is soooo cute! Do they rent her out?!?!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Simplicity.... I need to learn how to do that.

Sounds like a wonderful, special, memory-filled time spent with friends.

-Andrea

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a picture perfect holiday, Sandy! What fun!

a woman who is said...

"Too much Tradition" That is a hook for me, I will be back. Set me free Sandy, set me freeeeeeeeee
;>)

Andie is just beautiful!

Nunnie's Attic said...

Sounds most relaxing and absolutely perfect! Thanks for dropping by and by all means come on down! I was reminded that I forgot a few dishes which I posted about today. So...what's a few more people?? LOL!

Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!

Donnetta said...

Sounds and looks like you had a fabulously wonderful time enjoying the things that matter most... friends and family!!

Julie said...

I am definitely one for cultivating a thankful heart.

"Relaxation. Good sleep. Movies. Games (of course many Scrabble games). Conversation. Fishing. Puzzles. Nighttime walks in 20-degree weather. Solitude."

Sounds absolutely perfect to me!

Nadine said...

Sounds lovely and peaceful.