8/8/07

Essential Ingredients

I wouldn’t have had a dinner party last week if my girlfriends hadn’t come! Each Lady who came was the essential ingredient needed for a successful evening!

All six of my friends, with our connection being through our daughter's elementary school, brought a salad and, “Wa Lah,” our dinner was birthed!

Earlier in the day, as I prepared for the dinner, I asked myself, “What question can I ask my guests tonight to create meaningful conversation, and at the same time stretch our knowledge of each other?” I remembered how in order to create great dinner conversation you need to ask a question of your group, but not just any ordinary question. It has to have a spin on it, something exciting.

It happened. One simple question was asked and our conversation began. The question was: “What is new in your life, something we are not aware of?”

Each lady shared. Some went deeper than others, but it was beautiful to witness the passions and gifts that were flowing from each individual. As a group, we shared in each other’s hurts and joys. And we had our share of laughs, too!

We all benefit from seeing beyond a person’s recent accomplishments, or current tasks at hand, to go deeper into their lives. I love seeing that they are human beings with souls and feelings. I think we all learned that night how to recognize and affirm what may not be obvious on the outside. We instead saw the hidden qualities that make an individual a person of worth and dignity.

The weather was ideal, our ten little girls played and swam and had a great time, the food was scrumptious, and our conversation was substantial and lively. It seemed to be a magical evening overall.

And magical it was, because of the essential ingredients: each beautiful woman sitting at my table.

Have you had your girlfriends over for a ladies’ night lately?

(Top photo: taken by my cousin Anni Jones. Salad photo: fresh blueberries, kiwi, and strawberries from our patch that keeps giving and giving! Served with a reduced white balsamic vinegar dressing)

12 comments:

Donnetta said...

WOW. It sounds like it was an absolutely wonderful and fabulous time!!

I so enjoy moments such as those!

Jennifer said...

Wow. A girls night in or out is always so wonderful. It is great that you have so many ways to share your time with others. I know they enjoy the visits as much as you.
~Jen

tammi said...

Looks delicious and sounds wonderful. My girlfriends and I do a girls fondue night every November, and try to get together once or twice throughout the year, but with small kids and our various commitments, it's tough. Which makes each time special. Like a rare treat.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Holy Cow! I want to live in Southern Oregon. That salad looks divine.

To answer your question: The girls in my playgroup have enjoyed two evenings out this summer. The first was a salad party, almost identical to yours. (Only we left the kids - mostly toddlers and preschoolers - at home.) The second was a pizza / boat cruise around our local lake. It's so refreshing to be together.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I love this post! Asking the right questions of both friends and family really helps to build your relationships!

Nadine said...

What a lovely idea for a dinner party. I loved the question - simple yet thought provoking.

Barb said...

I wonder how many women host groups of ladies in their homes? I see groups of women out at restaurants, and I see women's activities in churches, but you don't hear about many women hosting other women at home anymore, unless it's for a baby shower or a similar specific purpose. I've done ladies' nights in the middle of winter at our home, where I invited a bunch over and we just played games and talked and such, and everyone raved about what a blast they had. (Midwestern winters can be pretty tedious!)

GiBee said...

What a lovely time! And look at that scrumptious salad! Yum! Did you make the dressing from scratch? Because it's a recipe I'd love to have, if you're willing to share!

Justabeachkat said...

The salad looks delish! Sounds like it was a perfect night for food, fun and fellowship.

Hugs!
Kat

Andrea said...

Girl's Nights are always a special treat for me too.

Sounds like you have a great group of friends and are an excellent hostess!!

Christine said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, and no! I haven't had my girlfriends over lately. It's about time!!

:)

Anonymous said...

I would love to come over for dinner at your house, especially if you served that salad!